Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The machine walking in front of me

On my walk to work this morning I saw a woman swinging her arm with extreme precision.  Each swing matched the previous.  She was walking as if it were a predefined motion.  It made me think about machines making precise movements.  I could not find an quote to fit my exact thoughts, so I found two of interest instead.

"No one knows where he who invented the plow was born, nor where he died; yet he has done more for humanity than the whole race of heroes who have drenched the earth with blood and whose deeds have been handed down with a precision proportionate only.” - Charles Caleb Colton

"The tendency of philosophers who know nothing of machinery is to talk of man as a mere mechanism, intending by this to imply that he is without purpose. This shows a lack of understanding of machines as well as of man. " - Arthur Young


No comments:

Post a Comment