Thursday, January 19, 2012

Nevermore

I think it was in middle school when I was introduced to Edgar Allan Poe.  He has stuck as a favorite author of mine since then.  Today would have been his 203rd birthday, so today's quotes are from him.  Three quotes for the three roses the Poe Toaster would have left on his grave.  The contrast between the tones in the first and last quotes are just a glimmer of the pain he said he felt through the end years of his life.

"I shall remain in Philadelphia perhaps for a year — but Richmond is my home, and a letter directed to that city will always reach me, in whatever part of the world I may be. " - Edgar Allan Poe, in a letter to George Washington Poe (1839)

"If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered." - Edgar Allan Poe, "Marginalia" in Democratic Review (1844)

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe, in a letter to George W. Eveleth (1848)

No comments:

Post a Comment