Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Zero, zilch, nada

My personal inbox reached zero (0) today for the first time in at least two years.  I'm really not joking.  At one point I was up to 1,000 unread emails.  It started when I was laid off and I was looking for a new job.  I started to signup for various groups and job searches.  Then I started to research things and send articles to myself so I would read them later... which I never did.  So today I have clean everything out.  If I have not read it, but want to, it has been tagged "to read" so I will one day get back to it.  Maybe that will be my next challenge.  For now, here are a couple quotes about "zero."

“When one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have.” - Stephen Hawking

"The point about zero is that we do not need to use it in the operations of daily life. No one goes out to buy zero fish. It is in a way the most civilized of all the cardinals, and its use is only forced on us by the needs of cultivated modes of thought." - Alfred North Whitehead

How often do you reference the number zero?

No comments:

Post a Comment